Then I discovered a simple, safe, and effective method for cleaning sterling silver. So now I have no qualms about buying and enjoying silver jewelry.
Here's a pair of earrings that had tarnished and needed cleaning. See how fast and easy it is to get them looking perfect again using the method described below.
- Non-metal bowl (glass or plastic works well)
- Piece of aluminum foil big enough to line your bowl
- Baking soda
- Chopstick or any other wooden/plastic utensil
1. Bring to boil enough water to fill about half the bowl.
2. Line the bottom of the pan with the piece of aluminum foil.
3. Place a heaping teaspoon of baking soda on the foil, and fill the bowl with water (about halfway is fine).
5. Drop your jewelry into the bowl, making sure it touches the foil. Water will start to fizz and there will be a slight sulfurous odour.
6. Leave the jewelry in for about one minute. Then fish it out with a chopstick or plastic utensil and wipe dry with a piece of soft cloth or kleenex.
Looks brand new, doesn' it? Now this method of cleaning also works for other items made out of sterling silver such as wire baskets, silverware, and any other housewares made out of silver.
What I love about this way of cleaning is that you can do it with items you readily have in your home. It doesn't require buying jewelry cleaners and other nonsense. Plus, this method won't damage the silver and it's super quick and easy!
One last tip: in order to prevent your silver from tarnishing make sure to store it enclosed in a box when not in use. Oxygen is the enemy of silver! It's what causes silver to tarnish.