5.22.2012

INSPIRATION: BLACK AND WHITE INTERIORS

The other day I was at the bookstore browsing the home decor section. I picked up a book called Black and White (and a Bit in Between): Timeless Interiors, Dramatic Accents, and Stylish Collections by Celerie Kemble. I was a bit skeptical about the premise of the book but curiosity got the better of me. Wow, was I blown away by the amazing interiors I saw. I was expecting to see stark black and white interiors but I was totally wrong. There was a vast variety of black and white spaces with a surprising amount of colours mixed in.

As I browsed the photos, I noticed that successful black and white rooms have a lot of different textures in them that adds visual interest. Also, I noticed layers of white and black. The spaces I liked best were the ones with wood accents or pops of colour.

I also found myself actually reading the text. I have to admit that when I look at interior design books I only look at the pictures and rarely read the copy. Celerie Kemble offers good advice on how to pull off the look so that you don't end up with a space that looks too stark and sterile.

I scoured Pinterest to look for examples of black and white interiors that I like. Here's a sample of what I found.



Source: kitka.ca via Alice on Pinterest





2 comments: